Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

 

Land Ownership in Territorial Days

Luther Township's 160-Acre Homesteads

Updated 9/17/99

 You are our 169thvisitor since September 17, 1999 - thanks for stopping by!

The first homestead claims were filed as a result of the Run of Sept. 22, 1891. Cancellations, relinquishments, and new claims followed for a number of years. By statehood, the vast majority of homesteaders had their Final Certificates and the map shows that most of the School Land was also in private hands.

Land records thus provide a timeline against which to check other information, like census and burial data. By gathering together all information pertaining to one parcel and tying it to the map, we can identify patterns of the comings & goings of families in the area and often trigger the memories of Ceil's Circle about their relationships.

For the part of the township northwest of Deep Fork, which was in the Iowa Lands, these thumbnail sketches can be fairly extensive. Many homesteaders already had their Final Certificates before the 1900 census and others would soon obtain them. Some had moved to town and rented their farms. Some had died and it's possible to determine who inherited their farms. Overall, enough landowners can be found on the census to determine the route the census-taker followed and often determine exactly where renters lived.

For the part of the township southeast of Deep Fork, which was in the Kickapoo Lands, it's a different story entirely. Most of those tracts were withheld from homesteading, set aside as compensatory School Land. In the beginning, this land was rented rather than sold. Although the 1907 Atlas shows ownership, on the 1900 census these people were still reported as renters. Sometimes it is impossible to tell whether they were renting the same land they were ultimately able to buy. Conjecture plays a prominent role in some of these sketches.

This is a workspace, not a finished product. Each clickable link leads to the narrative pertaining to that quarter section. All have both homestead data and 1907 ownership data. This information, along with a township map, proved the key to deciphering the badly-faded pages of the census. Those with a colored background also include at least some information from the 1900 census. Families who were renters rather than owners are not included at this time unless their presence is integral to the story of the landowner or we have reason to believe that individual later bought that parcel of land. If you find a clue you want to pursue, here's more about the sources. If you can shed light on any of our conjectures, or have another piece to add to the puzzle, please do write to me.

Key to Census Pages

Page 1 - Starting in the SW4 of Section 1, with Dwelling #1, and ending in the NW4 of Section 7, with Dwelling #20.

Page 2 - Starting in the NE4 of Section 7, with Dwelling #21, and ending in the NW4 of Section 10, with Dwelling #40.

Page 3 - Starting in the SE4 of Section 3, with Dwelling #41, and ending in the NW4 of Section 13, with Dwelling #57.

Page 4 -

Page 5 -

Page 6 -

Page 7 -

Page 8 -

Page 9 -

Page 10 -

Page 11 -

Chart of Locations

NW4 of 6

NE4 of 6

NW4 of 5

NE4 of 5

NW4 of 4

NE4 of 4

NW4 of 3

 

NE4 of 3

NW4 of 2

NE 4 of 2

NW4 of 1

NE4 of 1

SW4 of 6

SE4 of 6

SW4 of 5

SE4 of 5

SW4 of 4

SE4 of 4

SW4 of 3

 

SE4 of 3

SW4 of 2

SE4 of 2

SW4 of 1

SE4 of 1

NW4 of 7

 

NE4 of 7

NW4 of 8

NE4 of 8

NW4 of 9

NE4 of 9

NW4 of 10

NE4 of 10

NW4 of 11

NE4 of 11

NW4 of 12

NE4 of 12

SW4 of 7

 

SE4 of 7

SW4 of 8

SE4 of 8

SW4 of 9

SE4 of 9

SW4 of 10

SE4 of 10

SW4 of 11

SE 4 of 11

SW4 of 12

SE4 of 12

NW4 of 18

NE4 of 18

 

NW4 of 17

NE4 of 17

NW4 of 16

NE4 of 16

NW4 of 15

NE4 of 15

NW4 of 14

NE4 of 14

NW4 of 13

NE4 of 13

SW4 of 18

SE4 of 18

 

SW4 of 17

SE4 of 17

SW4 of 16

SE4 of 16

SW4 of 15

SE4 of 15

SW4 of 14

SE 4 of 14

SW4 of 13

SE4 of 13

NW4 of 19

NE4 of 19

NW4 of 20

NE4 of 20

NW4 of 21

NE4 of 21

 

NW4 of 22

NE4 of 22

NW4 of 23

NE4 of 23

NW4 of 24

NE4 of 24

SW4 of 19

SE4 of 19

SW4 of 20

SE4 of 20

SW4 of 21

SE4 of 21

 

SW4 of 22

SE4 of 22

SW4 of 23

SE 4 of 23

SW4 of 24

SE4 of 24

NW4 of 30

NE4 of 30

NW4 of 29

NE4 of 29

NW4 of 28

NE4 of 28

 

NW4 of 27

NE4 of 27

NW4 of 26

NE4 of 26

NW4 of 25

NE4 of 25

SW4 of 30

SE4 of 30

SW4 of 29

SE4 of 29

SW4 of 28

SE4 of 28

 

SW4 of 27

SE4 of 27

SW4 of 26

SE 4 of 26

SW4 of 25

SE4 of 25

NW4 of 31

NE4 of 31

NW4 of 32

NE4 of 32

NW4 of 33

NE4 of 33

 

NW4 of 34

NE4 of 34

NW4 of 35

NE4 of 35

NW4 of 36

NE4 of 36

SW4 of 31

SE4 of 31

SW4 of 32

SE4 of 32

SW4 of 33

SE4 of 33

 

SW4 of 34

SE4 of 34

SW4 of 35

SE 4 of 35

SW4 of 36

SE4 of 36

 

NE4 of 1-14-1E

Return to Chart

Mary Hall filed her claim on Sept 25, 1891. It was canceled on Aug. 5, 1893. William J. Smith filed his claim on Dec. 7, 1893 and got his Final Certificate on Nov. 17, 1898. The 1907 map shows two dwellings on the eastern edge of this property, right on the from Lincoln County line, so they might have been easy to miss. Owned by Eva Graham in 1907.

NW4 of 1-14-1E

Return to Chart

John Anderson filed a claim on the entire quarter on April 18, 1892.

He relinquished the west half on Jan. 7, 1893 to George Finley, whose claim was cancelled Feb 1, 1898. Jackson Toliver filed on that portion Nov. 26, 1898. Toliver was enumerated as Dwelling #1 on the 1900 census. He got his Final Certificate on Dec. 30, 1903 and still owned this portion in 1907.

Anderson relinquished the east half to John Ramsey on Jan. 25, 1895. Ramsey was enumerated as Dwelling #2 on the 1900 census. He got his Final Certificate on Feb. 17, 1903 and still owned this portion in 1907.

SE4 of 1-14-1E

Return to Chart

John Coyle filed his claim on Oct. 10. 1891 and got his Final Certificate on Sept. 9, 1895. The 1907 map shows one dwelling and a "shop" on this property, but so far I haven't found any census entry that matches them. Owned by John Coyle in 1907.

SW4 of 1-14-1E

Return to Chart

Joseph F. Freeman filed his claim on Sept. 29, 1891 and got his Final Certificate on Aug. 14, 1895. I did not find Freeman on the 1900 census. Owned by James T. Jeter in 1907.

NE4 of 2-14-1E

Return to Chart

Henry West filed his claim May 13, 1892. Relinquished Lot 1 and the SE quarter to George Hyde on Nov. 21, 1893 and Hyde's claim was canceled Dec. 13, 1895. Jefferson Wiley got a Final Certificate on the parcel on March 13, 1897, but I don't know what happened in the intervening period. This portion is the east 78 acres owned by "F. W. Lain" in 1907. (As Franklin W. Law homesteaded the 160 acres to the south, I believe this was a transcription error.)

West relinquished Lot 2 to Ephraim Ramsey on May 22, 1899 and he in turn relinquished it to Joseph Ramsey on Aug. 6, 1906 who immediately commuted it for cash. This corresponds to the northwestern 38 acres owned by John Ramsey in 1907.

West was enumerated as Dwelling # 6 on the 1900 census. He got his Final Certificate.on the southwestern 40 acres on June 28, 1902. This corresponds to the tract owned by C. C. McMurphy in 1907.

NW4 of 2-14-1E

Return to Chart

John Frank Fox filed his claim on Sept. 24, 1891 and relinquished it to Savannah G. Fox on Aug. 20, 1892. She got her Final Certificate April 5, 1895. Owned by J. D. Cole in 1907.

SE4 of 2-14-1E

Return to Chart

James M. Ramsey file a claim on Sept. 23, 1891 and relinuished it to Dand F. Blaney on Sept. 4, 1893. He in turn relinquished it to Franklin W. Law on Jan 8, 1894. He was enumerated as Dwelling #48 on the 1900 census and got his Final Certificate on June 14, 1901. Owned by "F. W. Lain" in 1907, which I believe was a transcription error.

SW4 of 2-14-1E

Return to Chart

James T. Cole filed his claim on Sept. 23, 1891 and got his Final Certificate on March 18, 1896. I have not been able to tie James T. Cole to any of the other COLEs in the area, but do not have the names of the children of Tolbert Cole, whose place cornered his on the northwest. J. D. Cole's daughter Anna married John Clinton Shaffer and the map shows this parcel owned by John N. Shaeffer in 1907 (whom I suspect was John C. Shaffer's father).

NE4 of 3-14-1E

Return to Chart

Tolbert F. Cole filed his claim on Sept 24, 1891 and Elijah Moore filed one on January 21, 1892. Moore's claim was cancelled and Cole got his F.C. on March 28, 1893. Tolbert Cole was enumerated in Deep Fork township in 1900, but still owned this land in 1907.

NW4 of 3-14-1E

Return to Chart

Lewis O. Briscoe filed his claim on Sept. 24, 1891 and got his Final Certificate August 12, 1899, just a few months after his wife died. He does not appear on the 1900 census, and is knows to have returned to Kansas. Briscoe still owned it in 1907.

SE4 of 3-14-1E

Return to Chart

Wade H. Smith filed his claim on Oct. 23, 1891 and it was canceled on Dec. 7, 1892. Joshua V. Lacey filed his claim on Dec. 21, 1892 and got his Final Certificate on June 29, 1900. He still owned the West 80 acres in 1907, but C. H. Stanbrough owned the east 80 acres.

SW4 of 3-14-1E

Return to Chart

Peter A. Camp filed his claim on Sept. 25, 1891 and got his Final Certificate on July 28, 1899. Enumerated as Dwelling #35 on the 1900 census. Owned by James M. Wilson in 1907.

NE4 of 4-14-1E

Return to Chart

Harry Hunter filed his claim on Oct. 6, 1891 and got his Final Certificate Aug. 22, 1900. He was enumerated as Dwelling #10 on the 1900 census and still owned this place in 1907.

NW4 of 4-14-1E

Return to Chart

Thomas Welborne filed his claim on Sept. 25, 1891 and got his Final Certificate on Oct 20, 1900. He is not shown on the 1900 census. In 1907, Welborne still owned the north half, but Anna B. Hunter is listed as the owner of the south half.

SE4 of 4-14-1E

Return to Chart

Ezekial Wilson filed his claim on Sept. 23, 1891 and then relinquished it to John W. Fourt on Oct. 17, 1892. Fourt got his Final Certificate on July 28, 1899 and was enumerated as Dwelling # 34 of the 1900 census. Owned by James P. Smith in 1907.

SW4 of 4-14-1E

Return to Chart

Elmore Wilson filed his claim on Sept. 23, 1891 and relinquished it to Henry D. L. Lambert on Oct. 17, 1892. Lambert was enumerated as Dwelling #got his Final Certificate on June 29, 1900 still owned it in 1907.

NE4 of 5-14-1E

Return to Chart

Mack Patrick filed his claim Sept. 26, 1891 and relinquished it to Thomas Clopton on March 25, 1892. Clopton was enumerated as Dwelling #13 on the 1900 census and Orville Davis as #14. Clopton is listed as a renter and Davis the owner, but I believe this must be an enumerator's error as Clopton got his Final Certificate on Aug. 20, 1900 and still owned it in 1907.

NW4 of 5-14-1E

Return to Chart

Jake Johnson filed his claim on Sept. 24, 1891 and got his Final Certificate on Aug. 20, 1900. The Head of Household for Dwelling #15 looks more like George Johnston, but it is rather difficult to read. He still owned it in 1907.

SE4 of 5-14-1E

Return to Chart

John Lewis filed his claim on Sept. 26, 1891 and got his Final Certificate on Apr. 12, 1899. The east half was owned by S. M. Smith in 1907 and the west half by O. M. Cole. Although two dwellings are shown on the 1907 map, no one was enumerated in this quarter in 1900.

SW4 of 5-14-1E

Return to Chart

Sanford Thomas filed a claim on Sept. 26, 1891 and relinquished it to Charles Scott on Dec. 1, 1899. He was enumerated as Dwelling #27 on the 1900 census. Scott got his Final Certificate on Dec. 8, 1904 and still owned it in 1907. This homestead was the site of the Reunion Church and cemetery.

NE4 of 6-14-1E

Return to Chart

John Keys filed his claim Oct. 9, 1891 and got his Final Certificate June 25, 1900. Keys still owned it in 1907.

NW4 of 6-14-1E

Return to Chart

Stephanie Mirham filed a claim on Oct. 5, 1891 and relinquished it to Augustus C. Tomberlin on April 13, 1892. Tomberlin was enumerated as Dwelling #18 on the 1900 census and got his Final Certificate on Aug. 10, 1900. Owned by George R. Veorum (?) in 1907. I strongly suspect a transcription problem and the name was really Yeokum.

SE4 of 6-14-1E

Return to Chart

William T. Burke filed a claim on the south and William T. Davis filed a claim on the north half half on Nov. 9, 1891. Both relinquished their claims to William H. Wallace on March 24, 1892. Wallace got his Final Certificate on Jan. 14, 1899 and still owned it in 1907.

SW4 of 6-14-1E

Return to Chart

Rosa Etta Atteberry filed a claim on Sept. 22, 1891 and got her Final Certificate on Oct. 17, 1900. In 1907, it was owned by Mark Lafayette Sanders, the widower of Rosa Etta Atteberry.

NE4 of 7-14-1E

Return to Chart

Maynard Jones filed a claim Sept. 25, 1891. He relinquished it to John E. Attebery on June 1, 1893. He was enumerated as Dwelling #24 on the 1900 census, got his Final Certificate Aug. 9, 1900 and still owned it in 1907.

NW4 of 7-14-1E

Return to Chart

Andrew Francis Milligan filed his claim on Sept. 24, 1891 and was enumerated as Dwelling #20 on the 1900 census. He got his Final Certificate on Aug. 10, 1900. His wife, Mary J. Milligan, is listed as the owner in 1907 - which I don't understand because Andrew Francis Milligan was still living at the time.

SE4 of 7-14-1E

Henry C. Clark filed a claim Sept. 24, 1891 and relinquished the west half to Martin W. Rogers on Dec. 17, 1898.

Clark got his Final Certificate for the east half Jan. 30, 1899. on Aug. 21, 1900 and Rogers got his for the west half on June 25, 1902.

The 1907 map, however, shows the east 80 acres owned by M. Rogers and the west 80 acres by W. H. Downs.

SW4 of 7-14-1E

Return to Chart

Joseph E. Daugherty filed a claim Sept. 24, 1891 and reliquished it to Henry A. Wadsworth July 7, 1892. Wadsworth got his Final Certificate Aug. 10, 1900 and still owned it in 1907.

NE4 of 8-14-1E

Return to Chart

Albert Clayton filed a claim Sept. 25, 1891, got a Final Certificate on Aug. 20, 1900 and still owned it in 1907. Had a school near the northwest corner.

NW4 of 8-14-1E

Return to Chart

Emanuel Moore filed a claim Mar. 30, 1892, got a Final Certificate on Aug. 20, 1900 and still owned it in 1907.

SE4 of 8-14-1E

Return to Chart

Joseph Taylor filed a claim Sept. 25, 1891, got a Final Certificate on Aug. 21, 1900 and still owned it in 1907.

SW4 of 8-14-1E

Return to Chart

Sandy Smith filed a claim Sept. 25, 1891, got a Final Certificate on Aug. 21, 1900 and still owned it in 1907.

NE 4 of 9-14-1E

Return to Chart

Marion Spearman filed on Oct. 6, 1891 but the claim was canceled Sept. 6 1892. Austin Edmundson filed on the entire 160 acres May 3, 1893 but Relinquished the East 80 acres to Gus Edmundson Oct 10, 1896. Austin got his Final Certificate on Oct 27, 1896 and Gus got his on Oct. 16, 1898. The 1900 census shows Judge Stern renting Dwelling #31 [which matches Gus's place] and the two Edmundsons sharing Dwelling #32. Both had sold to O. M. Cole by 1907.

NW 4 of 9-14-1E

Return to Chart

Thaddeus Arbuckle filed his claim on March 1, 1892 and got his Final Certificate on June 29, 1900. The 1900 Census shows him in Dwelling # 30 and the 1907 map shows the house near the section line on the north. He sold the north 80 Acres to Mary R. Stahley by 1907.

SE 4 of 9-14-1E

Return to Chart

James Battle filed on the east 80 acres on Nov. 16 1891 and got his Final Certificate on August 22, 1900. He was enumerated as Dwelling #65 on 1900 Census. He still owned it in 1907 and that map shows two dwellings and a church.

George W. Welborne filed on the west 80 acres on Dec. 26, 1891 and got his Final Certificate Dec 8, 1899. He sold to O.M. Cole before 1907.

SW 4 of 9-14-1E

Return to Chart

John W. Leek filed July 17, 1898 and got his Final Certificate July 1, 1899. John was enumerated as Dwelling #69 on 1900 Census, and Robert Leek as Dwelling #68, both recorded as owning their farms free of mortgage. The 1907 map shows one house at the southwest corner of the quarter section and another on the northwest corner. By 1907, Mattie Leek (Robert's wife) is shown as the owner of the southern 80 acres and the northern 80 acres had been sold to Mary R. Stahley. I believe that Robert & Mattie were John's parents.

NE4 of 10-14-1E

Return to Chart

Anderson Young filed a claim Apr. 2, 1892, which was canceled by ruling July 3, 1893. Lafayette Standfield filed on July 3, 1893 and then relinquished his claim to Andrew J. Hogg on Feb. 24, 1895. Hogg got his Final Certificate on July 8, 1899 and still owned it in 1907.

NW4 of 10-14-1E

Return to Chart

Theron Ward filed a claim Oct. 5, 1891, which was canceled July 22, 1893. Allen Thomas then filed Aug. 22, 1893. He relinquished the north half to Otho M. Cole on Nov. 15, 1898, but got his Final Certificate for the south half on June 26, 1900. Thomas was enumerated as Dwelling #39 on the 1900 census. This part was owned by Ed Sweeley in 1907.

Cole was enumerated as Dwelling #36 on the 1900 census and got his Final Certificate Nov. 17, 1903. It was owned by Ed Porter in 1907.

SE4 of 10-14-1E

Return to Chart

Samuel H. Hilton filed a claim May 18, 1892, got his Final Certificate on Aug. 17, 1900 and still owned it in 1907.

SW4 of 10-14-1E

Return to Chart

Jacob Laugham filed a claim Dec. 22, 1891. He relinquished the south half to Elijah Hunter on Dec. 10, 1895 and the north half to Larkin H. Holston on Dec. 8, 1896.

Hunter's claim was canceled June 19, 1901 and refiled July 12, 1901 in the name of Alice Hunter. I could not find an entry for a Final Certificate for this parcel, but Anna Moore is shown as the owner on the 1907 map.

Holston got his Final Certificate for the north half on Feb. 23, 1904. Martha Holston owned it in 1907.

NE4 of 11-14-1E

Return to Chart

Split by Deep Fork, with the northern part in the Iowa lands and the southern in the Kickapoo Lands. David A. Jackson filed a claim on the northern part on Dec. 7, 1891 and on the southern part on Sept. 13, 1895. He got his Final Certificate on the entire quarter on Aug. 9, 1900 and still owned it in 1907.

NW4 of 11-14-1E

Return to Chart

George Stearnes filed a claim on Sept. 24, 1891, then relinquished the south half to Lewis Walker on Aug. 24, 1894.

Stearnes got his Final Certificate for the north half on Jan. 16, 1900. It was owned by Charles Lacy in 1907.

Walker was enumerated as Dwelling #44 on the 1900 census and got his Final Certificate for the south half Feb. 18, 1901. He still owned it in 1907.

SE4 of 11-14-1E

Return to Chart

Split by Deep Fork, with the northern part in the Iowa lands and the southern in the Kickapoo Lands. William A. McMurtrie filed a claim on the NW4 on Oct. 14, 1891, then relinquished it to Jackson McGraw on Apr. 5, 1893. Mable C. Laycock filed on the portion south of Deep Fork May 28, 1895, and relinquished her claim to Jackson McGraw on Aug. 31, 1895. On Apr. 7, 1898, McGraw in turn relinquished the south half to James M. Wilson. Wilson relinquished it to James N. Dial on Sept 24, 1900 and Dial got his Final Certificate on Oct. 21, 1892. He still owned it in 1907.

All of these maneuvers left Jackson McGraw with the entire north half and he got his Final Certificate on April 24, 1899. In 1907, this propert was owned by A. A. Shafer.

SW4 of 11-14-1E

Return to Chart

Edward C. Hussellton filed a claim on Sept. 23, 1891. It was cancelled May 8, 1895 and John W. Lowry filed his claim on June 6, 1896. He got his Final Certificate on June 29, 1900. Owned by L. L. Buffington in 1907.

NE4 of 12-14-1E

Return to Chart

Split by Deep Fork, with the northern part in the Iowa lands and the southern in the Kickapoo Lands. Jacob Staiger filed on the northern part Oct. 21, 1891 and the southern part on May 17, 1895. The other dates on this entry are unreadable, but there is no other name associated with the tract. In 1907, the roughly 77 acres north of Deep Fork owned by Nancy Stevens and the roughly 83 acres south of Deep Fork were owned by T. M. Carr.

NW4 of 12-14-1E

Return to Chart

Split by Deep Fork, with the northern part in the Iowa lands and the southern in the Kickapoo Lands. John M. Wier filed a claim to the northern portion on Sept. 28, 1891, which he relinquished to Michael ?, who in turn relinquished it to Thomas C. Lambe on Mar. 30, 1892. Lambe also filed on the southern portion on May 27, 1895 and got his Final Certificate for the entire quarter on Aug. 7, 1900. It was owned by J. Jeter in 1907.

SE4 of 12-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Jefferson Crawford in 1907.

SW4 of 12-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by S. H. Ulrich in 1907.

NE4 of 13-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by N. B. Bridges in 1907.

NW4 of 13-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by J. P. Dunn in 1907.

SE4 of 13-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by J. B. Greenhoward in 1907.

SW4 of 13-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Henry Adams in 1907.

NE4 of 14-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by "F. W. Lain" in 1907. Probably a transcription error for Franklin W. Law.

NW4 of 14-14-E

Return to Chart

Split by Deep Fork, with the wesern part in the Iowa lands and the eastern in the Kickapoo Lands. Stephen A. Losh filed a claim on the western portion Sept. 26, 1891 and relinquished it to Mattie Paine on Oct. 19, 1891. Mattie Paine filed on the eastern portion, May 31, 1895 and got a Final Certificate to the entire quarter on June 29,m 1900. Paine still owned it in 1907.

SE4 of 14-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Rev. W. H. Wallace in 1907.

SW4 of 14-14-1E

Return to Chart

Split by Deep Fork, with the northwestern corner in the Iowa lands and the rest in the Kickapoo Lands. John W. Lowry, Jr. filed on the roughly 18 acres in the Kickapoo Lands on Sept. 20, 1892. Augustus ? filed on the Kickapoo portion on May 24, 1895 but relinquished his claim to Lowry on Dec. 11, 1895. Lowry relinquished his claim on the eastern half to John T. Attebery on March 14, 1897.

Lowry got his Final Certificate for the western half on July 11, 1901 and still owned it in 1907.

John T. Attebery got his Final Certificate on the eastern half on March 18, 1902. It was owned by F. E. Gibson in 1907.

NE4 of 15-14-1E

Return to Chart

Jacob Burford filed a claim on Sept. 24 1891, and relinquished it to William Hall on Apr. 15, 1893. Hall received his Final Certificate on Aug. 21 1900 and will owned the east 80 acres owned in 1907. The west 80 acres were owned by L. Hall.

NW4 of 15-14-1E

Return to Chart

Erwin C. Roosa filed a claim on Sept. 29, 1891 and relinquished it to Victoria Celestine on Sept. 30, 1896. She got her Final Certificate on Feb. 11, 1904 and still owned it in 1907.

SE4 of 15-14-1E

Return to Chart

James M. Morgan filed a claim on Sept. 24, 1891 and got his Final Certificate on February 11, 1898. In 1907, the owner is listed as Nora J. McCainey.

SW4 of 15-14-1E

Return to Chart

Della Hawkins filed a claim on Oct. 5, 1891 and relinquished it to Patrick Hennessey on Dec. 17, 1891. He got his Final Certificate Feb. 11, 1898 and still owned it in 1907.

NE4 of 16-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by O.M. Cole in 1907.

NW4 of 16-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. I? Reason was enumerated as a renter of Dwelling #67 on the 1900 census. After analyzing the census taker's route, I believe that corresponds with this property owned by I. Reason in 1907.

SE4 of 16-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Martin Benjamin in 1907.

SW4 of 16-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by George Lewis in 1907.

NE4 of 17-14-1E

Return to Chart

Granderson Neal filed a claim Sept. 24, 1891 and relinquished it to John Scott Feb. 22, 1893. Scott got his Final Certificate Aug. 21, 1900 and still owned it in 1907.

NW4 of 17-14-1E

Return to Chart

William Franklin filed a claim Sept. 24, 1891 and relinquished it to Daniel Martin on April 12, 1892. Martin relinquished to to Samuel I. Elliot on June 21, 1895. Elliot got his Final Certificate June 8, 1898. It was owned by W. H. Chilcott in 1907.

SE4 of 17-14-1E

Return to Chart

Mark Weddington filed a claim on Sept. 29, 1891 and got his Final Certificate August 15, 1900. He still owned it in 1907.

SW4 of 17-14-1E

Return to Chart

John C. McClure filed a claim on Sept 24, 1891, but it was cancelled Oct. 12, 1892. Frederick Yager filed a claim Feb. 28, 1893, which was cancelled on (unreadable). Elizabeth A. Yager then filed June 22, 1898 and got her Final Certificate on June 15, 1908. The 1907 ownership map lists her as just E. (A. or H.) Yager.

NE4 of 18-14-1E

Return to Chart

John W. McAnally filed a claim Sept. 24, 1891 and relinquished it to John Nichols April 11, 1892. Nichols got his Final Certificate Aug. 9, 1900 and still owned it in 1907.

NW4 of 18-14-1E

Return to Chart

William J. McAnally filed a claim Sept. 24, 1891 and got his Final Certificate Dec. 5, 1892. Owned by J. Rogers in 1907.

SE4 of 18-14-1E

Return to Chart

Thomas D. Hamilton filed a claim Sept. 24, 1891 but it was canceled Oct. 12, 1892. Andrew B. Moore filed a claim on Nov. 15, 1892 and got his Final Certificate July 20, 1900. He still owned it in 1907.

SW4 of 18-14-1E

Return to Chart

Emri Heady filed a claim Sept. 24, 1891 and relinquished it to Samuel S. Shipley on Oct. 3, 1892. Shipley got his Final Certificate June 30, 1901 and still owned it in 1907.

NE4 of 19-14-1E

Aurelius W. Roberts filed a claim Sept. 24, 1891 and got his Final Certificate April 11, 1893. He still owned it in 1907.

NW4 of 19-14-1E

Return to Chart

Ida Gibson filed a claim Sept. 24, 1891 and relinquished it to Charles H. Haug on Mar. 3, 1893. Haug got his Final Certificate on May 31, 1898 and still owned the east 80 acres in 1907. The west 80 acres owned by E. or F. Haug.

SE4 of 19-14-1E

Return to Chart

Harvey B. Ruble filed a claim on Sept. 24, 1891 and relinquished the north 80 acres to Charles A. Dunn on Jan. 26, 1893. He in turn relinquished his claim to Bertha Illy on Apr. 12, 1893. She still owned it in 1907.

Ruble got his Final Certificate for the south 80 acres on Apr. 11, 1898. In 1907, it was owned by E. Roberts.

SW4 of 19-14-1E

Return to Chart

Cornelius A. Slaught filed a claim Nov. 25, 1891 and got his Final Certificate Sept. 18, 1900. Owned by Mary Slaught, et. al. in 1907.

NE4 of 20-14-1E

Return to Chart

Oct. 9, 1891, Jacob Pietryzk filed on the north half and Anton Fibrowski on the south half. Both claims were cancelled and Edward N. Campbell filed a claim May 23, 1893. He got his Final Certificate Aug. 9, 1900. It was owned by G. T. Malcom in 1907.

NW4 of 20-14-1E

Return to Chart

John N. Sartain filed a claim Oct. 5, 1891 and relinquished it to Daniel B. Rush on Feb. 14, 1895. On Aug. 24, 1896, he relinquished it to Clark R. Rush who got his Final Certificate on Feb. 28, 1899. Owned by John S. Scott in 1907.

SE4 of 20-14-1E

Return to Chart

Louisa M. Chenowith filed a claim Sept. 24, 1891 and relinquished it to William H. Kennedy on Sept 4, 1893. Kennedy got his Final Certificate June 29, 1900. It was owned by Mrs. Wm. H. Kennedy in 1907.

SW4 of 20-14-1E

Return to Chart

Joseph Leadman filed a claim Sept. 25, 1894, which was canceled Dec. 12, 1892. On April 18, 1893, John Dial filed a claim on the south half and Moses Luster filed a claim on the north half. Dial got his Final Certificate Aug. 10, 1900 and Luster got his July 7, 1898. Dial's son, William, owned the entire 160 acres in 1907.

NE4 of 21-14-1E

Return to Chart

Cornelius C. Phillips filed a claim Oct 16, 1891 and got his Final Certificate May 18, 1898. Owned by Louis Elson in 1907.

NW4 of 21-14-1E

Return to Chart

Peter Johnson filed a claim on Oct. 20, 1891 and got his Final Certificate Aug. 8, 1900. Owned by M. H. Croslin in 1907. Had a school on the southwest corner.

SE4 of 21-14-1E

Return to Chart

Split by Deep Fork, with the southeastern corner in the Kickappoo Lands and the rest in the Iowa Lands. LaurensS. Morgan filed a claim on the Iowa portion on Sept. 29, 1891 and on the Kickapoo portion on May 24, 1895. He got his Final Certificate for the entire 160 acres on Dec. 13, 1897. In 1907, the east 80 half was owned by Jessie Taylor and the west half by E. L. Smith (which could be a transcription error, as Emma E. Smith owned the quarter section adjoining it on the west).

SW4 of 21-14-1E

Return to Chart

Burton Blizzard filed a claim n Sept. 24, 1891 and got his Final Certificate on Oct. 15, 1894. Owned by Emma E. Smith in 1907.

NE4 of 22-14-1E

Return to Chart

Jennie Morgan filed a claim to the small portion on the Iowa side of Deep Fork on Nov. 3, 1893 and on the rest May 24, 1895. She got her Final Certificate July 11, 1900 and still owned it in 1907.

NW4 of 22-14-1E

Return to Chart

Eugene M. Garnett filed on the portion on the Iowa side of Deep Fork Nov. 16, 1891. He got his Final Certificate Jan. 27, 1900. Owned by T. P. Smith in 1907.

SE4 of 22-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Louis Vorel in 1907.

SW4 of 22-14-1E

Return to Chart

Marcus L. Carlisle filed a claim May 23, 1895 and relinquished it to Louis Vorel on July 16, 1895. Vorel got his Final Certificate July 17, 1900 and still owned it in 1907.

NE4 of 23-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Aaron Baker in 1907.

NW4 of 23-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Patrick Hennessey in 1907.

SE4 of 23-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Otho Cole in 1907.

SW4 of 23-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Granderson Neal in 1907.

NE4 of 24-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Phoebe Maylorg in 1907.

NW4 of 24-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Robert Hall in 1907.

SE4 of 24-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by P. H. Walker in 1907.

SW4 of 24-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by "F. W. Lain" in 1907. As this same name appears on the parcel homesteaded by Franklin W. Law, I suspect there was a transcription error.

NE4 of 25-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by F. Misack in 1907.

NW4 of 25-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by I. T. Agnew in 1907.

SE4 of 25-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by T. J. Watson in 1907.

SW4 of 25-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by T. J. Mitchell in 1907. Had a school on the southwest corner.

NE4 of 26-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Alexander Parker in 1907. Had a school on the northwest corner.

NW4 of 26-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by J. S. Miller in 1907.

SE4 of 26-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Mrs. Eli Posell in 1907.

SW4 of 26-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by H. H. Hilburn in 1907.

NE4 of 27-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by L. Elson in 1907.

NW4 of 27-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. East 80 acres owned by J. C. Arnett in 1907. The portion of the west half to the south east of the railroad had become the School Land Addition of the town of Luther. The ownership of the part northwest of the railroad tracks is not shown.

SE4 of 27-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Lee Crossley in 1907.

SW4 of 27-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Ed Ward in 1907.

NE4 of 28-14-1E

Return to Chart

Split by Deep Fork, with the western part in the Iowa Lands and the eastern in the Kickapoo Lands.

John A. Blizzard filed on part of the Iowa portion Sept. 24, 1891, and Thaddeus P. Smith filed on another part on Aug. 16, 1892. The exact descriptions are unreadable and there was an unreadable relinquishment, but by comparing the listed acreages with the map and their other holdings it appears that Smith ended up with the west 80 acres and Blizzard the east 80 acres. Blizzard got his final certificate on Oct. 21, 1893 and Smith got his June 29, 1900.

Cora Stevens filed on the Kickapoo portion on may 25, 1898 and relinquished her claim to John A. Blizzard on Nov. 7, 1895. Blizzard got his Final Certificate on Apr. 22, 1897. He sold the southeast 40 acres to be platted as the Town of Luther. The north half and the southwest quarter were owned by Charles Kennedy in 1907.

NW4 of 28-14-1E

Return to Chart

Withheld from homesteading, reason unreadable. Owned by T. P. Smith in 1907.

SE4 of 28-14-1E

Return to Chart

Split by Deep Fork, with only a small portion in the Iowa Lands. Elida H. Delaport filed a claim on that small parcel August 28, 1894 and on the Kickapoo portion May 24, 1895. She received her Final Certificate for the whole quarter on June 29, 1900. Except for a roughly 10-acre part of the northeastern corner that had been platted as Luther's first Deleaporte Addition, it was stilll owned by E. H. Delaporte in 1907.

SW4 of 28-14-1E

Return to Chart

Split by Deep Fork, with the northern part in the Iowa lands and the southern in the Kickapoo Lands. James P. Smith filed a claim on the Iowa portion on Aug. 28, 1894 and got his Final Certificate on Oct. 7, 1899. He still owned it in 1900.

James M. Kuykendal filed a claim on the Kickapoo portion on May 24, 1895 and got his Final Certificate March 31, 1902. He still owned it in 1907.

NE4 of 29-14-1E

Return to Chart

Split by Deep Fork, with the northern part in the Iowa lands and the southern in the Kickapoo Lands. Martha Lodeski Simmons filed a claim on the northern portion on Sept. 24, 1891 and on the southern portion May 24, 1895. She got her Final Certificate on June 29, 1900. She married Bill McCorkle sometime between 1900 and 1904. This land was owned by by her brother, Charles Simmons, in 1907.

NW4 of 29-14-1E

Return to Chart

Split by Deep Fork, with the northern part in the Iowa lands and the southern in the Kickapoo Lands. Henry B. Sumner filed a claim on the northern portion on Sept. 24, 1891 and got his Final Certificate on Oct. 5 1895. He filed on the southern portion May 24, 1895 but relinquished that claim to Henry S. Catron on Nov. 19, 1895. Catron got his Final Certificate March 19, 1901. In 1907, Catron owned the entire 160 acres.

SE4 of 29-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by T. P. Smith in 1907.

SW4 of 29-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by J. W. H. Potter in 1907.

NE4 of 30-14-1E

Return to Chart

William J. Donovan filed a claim on Sept. 23, 1891 and got his Final Certificate March 30, 1893. Owned by J. W. H. Potter in 1907.

NW4 of 30-14-1E

Return to Chart

Split by Deep Fork between the Iowa and Kickapoo Lands. Clarence G. Vernon filed on the northern portion Sept. 24, 1891 and got his Final Certificate on Oct. 5, 1895. He filed on the southern part May 24, 1895 but relinquished it to Sarah J. Chester on Oct. 28, 1895. She in turn relinquished it to Bert Barlow on Oct 24, 1898. Barlow owned the entire 160 acres in 1907.

SE4 of 30-14-1E

Return to Chart

Split by Deep Fork between the Iowa and Kickapoo Lands. Elizabeth Alward filed on the north part on Dec. 21, 1893 and on the south part May 24, 1895. She got her Final Certificate for the entire 160 acres on July 11, 1900. Owned by H. S. Stall in 1907. I believe that this was a transcription error and the name is actually Stull.

SW4 of 30-14-1E

Return to Chart

Split by Deep Fork between the Iowa and Kickapoo Lands, with only a small part of the northwest corner in the Iowa Lands.

Elizabeth F. Edwards filed a claim on the Iowa portion on January 17, 1894. John William (Unreadable) filed a claim on the Kickapoo portion on May ??, 1895. On Sept. 27, 1895, he relinquished it to Aaron B. (Unreadable), who in turn relinquished the western half to Elizabeth Edwards on Sept. 27, 1895. She got her Final Certificate on June 29, 1900 and still owned it in 1907.

On Nov. 8, 1895, Aaron B. (Unreadable) relinquished the remaining part of his claim, now reduced to the eastern 80 acres, to Ellen Edwards. She and her husband, D. H. Stull still owned it in 1907.

NE4 of 31-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Samuel Andrews in 1907.

NW4 of 31-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by E. Catron in 1907.

SE4 of 31-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Mrs. Anna Hill in 1907.

SW4 of 31-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by T. J. Graham in 1907.

NE4 of 32-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Ben Moore in 1907.

NW4 of 32-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by C. S. Clark in 1907.

SE4 of 32-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Anna Hrdlicka in 1907.

SW4 of 32-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by J. J. Johnson in 1907.

NE4 of 33-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by M. C. Binion in 1907.

NW4 of 33-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by James P. Smith in 1907.

SE4 of 33-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Bert White in 1907.

SW4 of 33-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by J. M. Ramsey in 1907.

NE4 of 34-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by S. Havley in 1907.

NW4 of 34-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Charles Fife in 1907.

SE4 of 34-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by W. H. Babb in 1907.

SW4 of 34-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by (unreadable) Taylor in 1907.

NE4 of 35-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Jim Finizer in 1907.

NW4 of 35-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by George Doy in 1907.

SE4 of 35-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned byJ. C. Graham in 1907.

SW4 of 35-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by C. W. Lent in 1907.

NE4 of 36-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by Albert Wiechnian in 1907.

NW4 of 36-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by H. Darling in 1907.

SE4 of 36-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by G. Herrold in 1907.

SW4 of 36-14-1E

Return to Chart

School Land. Owned by D. H. Jackson in 1907.

 

Sources

This project shows what can be accomplished by comparing and cross-checking information from several sources. I realize, however, that serious researchers want to know where all of this came from and those who think they recognize someone want to be able to look at the original material rather than trust another's transcriptions.

Homestead information came from the Federal Land Tract Books, with some hard-to-decipher names cross-checked against the SWOGS Index Booklet. For information on how to obtain copies, go to the Southwestern Oklahoma Genealogical Society site. SWOGS

The ownership records from 1907 came from the Standard Atlas of Oklahoma County Oklahoma, published by Geo. A. Ogle & Co, and a table that was either a transcription of information on this map or came from a common source, but contained no attribution.

The 1900 Census is self-explanatory.

That leaves Ceil's Circle. Anything that isn't from one of the three above sources came from interviews with old-timers and on-line networking. Clues - no more, no less - but they were instrumental in putting the pieces of this puzzle together and may be just want you need to lead you to the documentation you want.

Return to the Chart

Return to the Key

 

Prepared by Sharon McAllister.

---

OKGenWeb

1996-1999 Marti Graham-Cripps

Comments? Questions? Contact the State Coordinator